Chiesa Parrocchiale di San Nicolò (Pfarrkirche St. Nikolaus) – Duomo di Merano (Meraner Pfarrkirche)
This church dedicated to St. Nicholas, the patron saint of children, sailors, businessmen and merchants, stands at the top of the portici arcade. It is usually referred to simply as the Duomo (in Italian) or the Pfarrkirche (in German).
The 83-metre clock tower, which is one of the highest in South Tyrol, is a landmark of the Old Town. A parish church, it was one of the first monuments in Tyrol built entirely in the Gothic style. It is Merano’s largest church and comprises a central body consisting of three naves. Mentioned in the historical record for the first time in 1220, the Duomo was enlarged in the fourteenth century; it was completed in 1465. Notable exterior features include the numerous frescoes on the southern façade and the richly decorated door with rose window; inside there is a magnificent altar in addition to a Gothic choir, sculptures and paintings.
Masses (in German only)
Weekdays: 9:00 a.m.
Saturdays: 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
Sundays: 8:00 a.m., 9:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. & 7:00 p.m.